Friday, September 30, 2016

9/30 RICKEY TROMBETTA STANCLIFF, TROMBETTA FAMILY WINES, THE 2016 PETALUMA GAP WIND TO WINE FESTIVAL, RICH LITTLE, “LITTLE BY LITTLE: PEOPLE I’VE KNOWN AND BEEN”

RICKEY TROMBETTA  STANCLIFF – CEO, TROMBETTA FAMILY WINES – SHE WILL BE TALKING ABOUT THE 2016 PETALUMA GAP WIND TO WINE FESTIVAL 

RICKEY TROMBETTA STANCLIFF
My family was food centric. Not unusual for an Italian family. But interestingly enough my parents did not drink alcohol as a rule and this included wine. My father would occasionally have a glass of white wine with dinner but that indulgence was rather spotty at best. My jobs as a child were to work in the kitchen with my mother and in the garden with my father. My father was a master at grafting fruit trees. We had an apple tree that had three varieties of apples on it. Since I was the youngest I was at home alone with them and it became part of my routine to shop for the vegetables and visit the family butcher. Every night Mom and I would prepare dinner together using the fresh ingredients that I had shopped for earlier. Growing up in Sonoma County in an Italian family one would draw the conclusion that we would be more main stream wine aficionados especially since so many of my parent’s friends were wine makers or owners. Mom and Dad loved to entertain and there were many gatherings around the dining room table. They served wine to their guests but did not partake. I can still hear the laughter ringing from that dining room.

A new path was opened for me many years ago when my husband Roger introduced me to coworkers gathered at a friend’s home to learn about making wine. Over the years as this group grew in their winemaking skills it brought to light something so obvious. As we concluded each harvest we would gather with food to share, wine to drink, and stories to tell. The bounty of the feast began to grow as we paired food with the wines. As our curiosity grew about wine Roger and I took courses at our local Junior College and U.C. Davis. Roger grew up in Connecticut. His father would share great Burgundies at Sunday night dinner. Roger grew up learning how to read and distinguish French Burgundy labels and wines.

One very warm summer day in August of 1998 I met my future teacher and friend through a mutual friend and grape grower. PAUL HOBBS breezed through the doors at Kunde Winery where he was leasing space, wearing his Bermuda shorts, a polo shirt and red high-topped Converse sneakers. Paul invited me in to taste some Chardonnay in barrels down in the caves. Later over lunch we discussed Paul’s new project, his first soon to be estate vineyard he had just purchased in Sebastopol. I was hired as the event planner for the celebration party he was arranging that November. Paul suggested to get to know each other better we go out the following week to visit some of the vineyards where he contracted fruit. It’s about an hours drive from our West County meeting spot to Napa, which gave us plenty of time to talk. As Paul learned of my passion for wine he shared more of his philosophy on vineyard management and winemaking. I was soaking all of this invaluable information up like a thirsty sponge.

The event planning turned into harvest help. Punch downs at Kunde where Paul was renting space to make his wines, and riding on the back end of tractor-trailer pulling leaves and botrytised fruit out of the macro bins became a regular occurrence. This led to working in the vineyards along side Paul and then full on harvest help for many years. My love affair with food and wine was blooming. Fresh produce from my huge vegetable garden was an integral part of our nightly feasts. Learning new techniques in the kitchen gave me confidence to reach out of my comfort zone. Roger and I are so grateful that we have been living a lifestyle of fabulous food and wine every day. The whole family joins in preparing food. Michael, our eldest, is a fabulous cook who pushes himself to replicate dishes he’s tasted and experiment with our garden’s bounty and Erica, our daughter, joined me in the vineyard at an early age.

Roger, my husband has always believed that I could do anything I set out to accomplish (he’s always been my biggest fan). He was willing to bet on it. We discussed starting our own brand for many years. I continued my education at UC Davis completing the PR and Marketing certificated program as well as Intro to Winemaking taught by Dr. Carole Meredith. The decision was made – let’s start our own brand. We determined that it would be called Trombetta Family Wines in tribute to my father. Paul graciously agreed to be our Consulting Winemaker. I could not have asked for a better team to turn our dream into reality. There is a lot of love in this wine. And now we've come full circle with Erica taking the reins as Winemaker.

Trombetta Family Wines first vintage of Pinot Noir is from the GAP'S CROWN VINEYARD located on the western slope of Sonoma Mountain. We have selected three clones of Pinot Noir that we feel exemplify the rich minerality, soils and cool weather from the Petaluma Gap. From bud break until harvest I walk our blocks of the vineyard internalizing the seasonal changes. This vineyard is pristinely maintained which the fruit exemplifies. At harvest I work the night picks alongside the crew. Armed with my blue shop towels I ensure that each macro bin is clean and dry before the fruit arrives. Leaves are painstakingly pulled along with any botrytised fruit.

TROMBETTA FAMILY WINES is at the beginning of our joyous journey. Our hope is that you will join us as we travel this road.

THE 2016 PETALUMA GAP WIND TO WINE FESTIVAL

The 2016 Petaluma Gap Wind to Wine Festival will be held at the Sheraton Petaluma on Sunday, November 6th! This is your opportunity to experience what makes our region special! More than 100 Petaluma Gap wines will be available in one place for tasting!There are two different VIP Seminars to choose from: Cool Climate Syrah and Food Friendly Wines. The Grand Tasting event will take place in the Sheraton’s Grand Ballroom, with more food stations, more space to mingle, and even more wines to sample!

Early bird ticket purchasers will receive a coupon worth $20 that can be applied to a wine order at the event. Many participating wineries will also be featuring event specials such as discounts or free shipping. There are a limited number of early bird tickets available. So don’t delay — get your tickets now for this extraordinary event!

PETALUMAGAP.COM 
WWW.TROMBETTAWINES.COM



LEGENDARY IMPRESSIONIST, ENTERTAINER OF A THOUSAND VOICES AND TROPICANA HEADLINER RICH LITTLE – TALKS ABOUT HIS CAREER, LAS VEGAS SHOW AND NEW BOOK, “LITTLE BY LITTLE: PEOPLE I’VE KNOWN AND BEEN”

ABOUT THE VEGAS SHOW:
Rich Little Live

Breaking News – Show Has Been Extended through Jan. 2017!
Renowned comedian and impersonator Rich Little returns to the Las Vegas Strip with the debut of “Rich Little Live,” a new autobiographical one-man show. “Rich Little Live” brings to life many of the beloved actors, singers and politicians that Little has known throughout his career that spans more than 50 years, from his television days in Canada to his first United States break on “The Judy Garland Show” to the present. His spot-on impersonations, along with jokes, songs, videos and personal stories combine to make this a must-see show.

Show Information
Show Time: 7pm Daily (Dark Monday and Friday; additional blackout dates may apply)
Location: Laugh Factory comedy club

ABOUT THE BOOK:
Little by Little: People I've Known and Been

"How did I become an impersonator? Perhaps my mother was conceived by a Zerox machine!" So, how did a kid from Ottawa, Canada, growing up in the 50's become an impersonator? No one in our family had ever been in show business. No one ever had "show business" yearnings. My father was a doctor. My mother was a housewife. So where did it come from? I've often asked myself this question. I didn't know the answer, but I did love the movies. As a boy, I would go every weekend, sometimes staying to see the show twice. Just going to the movies and getting so involved in the story-telling and the characters made me want to be that person up on the screen; never dreaming that I could turn it into a career.

The glory days of Hollywood and their icons, like no other, have remained as indelible images in our hearts and minds for decades. I, like many, idolized these giants of the screen and comedy, but was so fortunate to have had the opportunity to meet, work with and get to know many of them along the way during my career. From the genius of Jack Benny, the unmatched humor of George Burns, the debonair, handsome Cary Grant, the unforgettable John Wayne, the king of late night hosts Johnny Carson, and the former actor-turned-President Ronald Reagan to name a few. In this gem of a book are insights into the likes of many of these great people I've had the privilege and fortune to meet and imitate, shining new light on our beloved stars. This is really not a biography, but more of a humorous glimpse of the people I've impersonated and some of the funny stories that happened along the way.

RICHLITTLE.COM