As the weather gets crisp and the crispness of apples signals the sweet, fleeting passage of fall, it’s time to get cooking. Almost a dozen apple varieties will be available soon in your grocery store—a bumper crop to cook with—and apples are a great cooking fruit.
Cooking Light’s Anna Bullett, MS, RD, has some suggestions to turn fall’s best fruit into anything you can imagine, matching varieties to recipes designed to unlock the unique charm of each fruit—just in time for National Apple Month! For instance, Granny Smiths are great for pies, Pink Ladies make delicious applesauce, and Fujis are delicious raw with a creamy cheese (a perfect after-school snack!).
Anna is certainly no stranger to being clever and crafty in the kitchen. She’s constantly reworking recipes to make them healthier and more family-friendly, and this season’s bounty of apples—farmers predict almost 264-million bushels will be hand-picked this year!—is no match for her culinary prowess.
About Anna Bullett, MS, RD:
Anna Bullet, MS, RD, is the executive chef of Cooking Light. She enjoys educating the public on complex health concepts and aims to inspire others to live, cook and eat healthier. Before joining Cooking Light, Anna led cooking classes and wrote recipes for a popular restaurant in Manhattan. She also worked as a corporate dietitian, providing culinary development and nutrition communication support for school, college and corporate cafeterias throughout the Northeast and California. Anna is a graduate of Johnson and Wales University’s culinary arts and culinary nutrition programs, and she earned a Master of Science in Food Science and Human Nutrition from the University of Maine. Anna is an active member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She lives in Brooklyn with her husband.
DAMON MIELE - EVENT COORDINATOR, WORLD OF PINOT NOIR
In 2015, WOPN will once again be celebrated at Bacara Resort & Spa, just outside the city of Santa Barbara, on the "American Riviera". Get ready for our Crystal Anniversary - Fifteen years of World of Pinot Noir, March 6-7 2015.
World of Pinot Noir is excited to announce that a limited number of VIP Weekend Passes, and Single Day Event Passes for the 2015 event being held at Bacara Resort & Spa on March 6th & 7th are now available for purchase. These limited release VIP Passes will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis until October 12th.
The Weekend Pass includes access for one person to:
- Thursday evening VIP Wine Industry Dinner & Tasting
- Friday Seminar Series moderated by Jancis Robinson
- Friday Early Entry to the Focus Tasting
- A seat at one of the three Friday Evening Dinners being offered - the Fire, Earth or Water dinner with the exclusive option to upgrade to an intimate Featured Burgundy Producer focus dinner held in the Wine Cellar at Bacara Resort (limited to 38 guests)
- Saturday Burgundy Seminar with Don Kinnan
- Saturday Early Entry to the Grand Tasting
- A seat at either the Crystal Anniversary Dinner or the Rock Stars of WOPN dinner event - once again with the exclusive option to upgrade on Saturday night to the intimate Vintage Burgundy Dinner hosted by Fred Dame MS, and the Court of Master Sommeliers in the Bacara Wine Cellar.
The Friday Pass includes access for one person to the Friday Seminar Series moderated by Jancis Robinson, Early Entry to the Friday Focus Tasting, and a seat at one of the three Friday Dinners.
The Saturday Pass includes access for one person to the Burgundy Seminar, Early Entry to the Saturday Grand Tasting, and a seat at either the Crystal Anniversary Dinner or the Rock Stars of WOPN dinner event.
Individual event tickets will go on-sale in mid-October.