CHEF JJ JOHNSON FROM THE CECIL IN NYC TELLS US ABOUT THE NATIONAL PORK BOARD’S NEW CAMPAIGN THE DAILY PORKCAST
THE DAILY PORKCAST SERVES UP WEATHER-PAIRED RECIPES
At PorkBeinspired.com/Porkcast, pork lovers will find recipes to fit their forecast, which will be updated daily. The National Pork Board also has teamed up with seven top chefs who have each created a weather zone-inspired recipe for the tool. These "Flavor Forecasters" aim to give fans coast to coast a little taste of the cuisine that suits their local weather:
• Northeast: Chef JJ Johnson, Cecil in New York City
• Midwest/Great Lakes: Chef Tim Graham, Travelle in Chicago
• Southeast: Chef, Cookbook Author and Creator of TheKitchenDoesntBite.com, Doreen Colondres, Miami
• North Central: Owner and Chef Hosea Rosenberg, Blackbelly in Boulder
• South Central: Owner and Chef Chris Shepherd, Underbelly in Houston
• Northwest: Owner and Chef Adam Sappington, The Country Cat in Portland
• Southwest: Owner and Chef Casey Lane, The Tasting Kitchen in Los Angeles
ABOUT CHEF JJ JOHNSON
Chef JJ, a champion in the use of high quality and flavorful ingredients, firmly believes that a chef should cook with what is in season. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, he was inspired to pursue his love for food while spending time cooking with his Caribbean grandmother.
Chef JJ’s talents were further honed in the kitchens of New York’s most highly esteemed restaurants such as ‘Centro Vinoteca,’ ’Jane’ and ‘Tribeca Grill’. He has spent time in Ghana studying West African cuisine and showcased his skills at ‘Villa Monticello’, Ghana’s Premier Luxury Boutique Hotel and Spa. In 2013 Chef JJ helped to open the doors of Richard Parsons’ Afro-Asian-American brasserie ‘The Cecil,’ in Harlem, New York.
Chef JJ is the winner of Rocco DiSpirito’s Dinner Party competition where he wowed the culinary elite with his eclectic twists on straightforward cooking. His specialty is taking the simplest dish and applying bold flavors and unexpected ingredients to create a complex and sophisticated taste.
Chef JJ has been recognized for his talent and unique cuisine with accolades including being named as one of Forbes’ 30 Under 30 in the Food & Wine category (2014), Zagat’s 30 Under 30 (2014) and an Eater Young Gun (2014).
ABOUT THE NATIONAL PORK BOARD
The National Pork Board has responsibility for Checkoff-funded research, promotion and consumer information projects and for communicating with pork producers and the public. Through a legislative national Pork Checkoff, pork producers invest $0.40 for each $100 value of hogs sold. Importers of pork products contribute a like amount, based on a formula. The Pork Checkoff funds national and state programs in advertising, consumer information, retail and foodservice marketing, export market promotion, production improvement, technology, swine health, pork safety and environmental management. For information on Checkoff-funded programs, pork producers can call the Pork Checkoff Service Center at (800) 456-7675 or check the Internet at www.pork.org.
ALYSSA RAPP - VIVINO FEATURED USER AND BOTTLENOTES FOUNDER - THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO PAIRING WINE WITH HALLOWEEN CANDY
ABOUT THE VIVINO CANDY/WINE MATCH MAKER
• The idea for the match maker actually came about at the Vivino office. We had a big bag of fun sized candies and we were giving "tasting notes" similar to what people say about wine, like describing chocolate as earthy or a sour candy having a strong bite. Rich candies had a smooth finish. When we stepped back and looked at what we had, we realized we had a fun candy pairing that we knew our users would love.
• We shared our thoughts with some of our featured users who are wine pros and sommeliers and they validated and built out the data.
• The infographic ended up being shared on Facebook around 50,000 times last year so we brought it back again this year.
Vivino is the world's most downloaded wine app that lets wine drinkers learn everything there is to know about a wine simply by taking a photo of the wine label. Vivino collects ratings and tasting notes from nearly 12 million users to create the world's largest wine library, so if you're curious about a wine, chances are a Vivino user has already scanned it and we know exactly what it is.