Friday, September 20, 2013

09/20 ANDREW WILDER, STEVE EVANS

ANDREW WILDER - FOOD BLOGGER

What would happen if I went for an entire month without eating any processed foods? This question would have been laughable (or even nonsensical) just a few decades ago. Nowadays, it seems that almost every food that comes with an ingredients list on it is likely to be laden with extra sugar, fat, and salt. And preservatives. And flavorings. And artificial colors. I’m not okay with this.

So I tried it, along with a few good friends: A month of no processed foods. It was revelatory. My expectations and sense of taste were re-calibrated. I started to identify individual ingredients in the foods I ate. I didn’t crave those salty snacks. I found myself often in the kitchen, excited to see what I could cook next. Above all, I simply felt better. We took turns hosting small dinner parties, and shared our stories and experiences. It brought us closer together. Funny how real food does that. In 2010, I decided to try it again, in a bigger way. I had started Eating Rules just a few months before, and I reached out to my fellow foodies, bloggers, and friends, and issued the challenge again. In October 2010, 415 people took the pledge and we shared over 40 guest posts! (We also made the news a few times!) In 2011 we had over 3,000 people take the pledge, and we shared over 55 guest posts! For 2012 Andrew had 6,000 people take the.  This year we are going for 10,000 people taking the challenge.  Many go on to stay eating unprocessed for life.  Andrew has received major press interest and sponsors.  Last year Rene Lynch at the LA Times did a big online article on October Unprocessed and did the challenge herself.  I too plan to do this as well.

www.eatingrules.com

STEVE EVANS   "THE MOVIE GUY"

GREAT MOVIES OPENING THIS WEEKEND AND BOX OFFICE PREDICTIONS AND HOPES. FIND OUT WHAT MOVIES ARE WORTH YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY. GET SET FOR THE WEEKEND.