Friday, November 26, 2010

11/26-Steve Evans, Vito,

Vito - Vito's Pizza - Los Angeles
Tried Vito's for the first time recently. We arrived late afternoon and the place was hopping. Only about half the tables were full, but apparently they either do lots of deliveries, or pick up phone orders, or both. The phone was ringing off the hook. From what I could tell there were 3-4 people working. Vito himself manned the pizza oven, another guy in the kitchen appeared to be taking care of the non-pizza orders, and the front counter guy took orders and answered the phones. I ordered the cheese and sausage pizza with extra sausage, my friend got the sausage and peppers sub. After placing our order I noticed that the few open tables needed bussing. I asked the counter guy if the busser could come out. He kinda shrugged and laughed a little and said something like 'yeah - busser, I'm the busser, I'll get to it as soon as I can.' I asked if it'd be OK for me to bus the table. Sure. As I cleaned off the table Vito made joking comments about my chutzpah. We laughed. Then he asked what I'd ordered, and commented that he'd make sure my pizza was great. True to his word the pizza was PERFECT  A crisp crust with just the right combination of cheweyness and crispness. Just the right amount of perfectly seasoned sauce, and flavorful~savory Italian sausage. And the whole glorious thing was perfectly cook. My friend downed his sausage and pepper sub, and then lit into the pizza. Upon finishing my friend said 'I can't believe how much I ate, but I couldn't stop myself, it was all so good' All in all, it's a cute little place with a fun crew and great food. I've lived in Los Angeles for eons, and pretty much I'd resigned myself to the fact that good pizza just doesn't exist here - no longer. We have Vito's!


Old World Inn - Bed & Breakfast - Napa, CA

Lots of folks come to the Napa Valley each year. Each has their own reasons for the journey-- tasting wine, enjoying the local restaurants, exploring the Napa Valley wineries . . . Still others come to celebrate a special event-- a birthday, or anniversary. Or even a honeymoon! And instead of staying at a cookie-cutter Napa hotel, they choose instead to stay at a Bed and Breakfast Inn.  We visit the local Napa Valley and Sonoma wineries ourselves -- so we can pass on what it's like to taste wine there. And we enjoy going to the local Napa restaurants, gourmet grocery stores, and—our favorite places to have a picnic in the Napa Valley. We can also tell you about our favorite places to shop. Or taste cheese. Or . . . where the local chocolate shops are.  Located in several of Napa's Historic Landmark houses, the Old World Inn comprises 6 main buildings: The original inn was built in 1906 by E. J. Doughty, a master craftsman responsible for some of the town's most beautiful homes and churches. It stayed in the Doughty family for years, before being converted into the "Napa Valley Bed and Breakfast" in 1979. It was officially licensed as a B&B in February of 1981-- the first year such licenses became available. It has central air conditioning for those hot Napa summer days, as well as fireplaces in each room for those romantic winter nights!  The Old World Inn's Main House (1556 Polk St) was built in 1874 and a large additiion was added in the late 1880s. The Queen Anne addition was the creation of one of Napa's premier architects: Luther Turton. Rumor has it that the building was remodeled (in the early 1900s) by the same E.W.Doughty that built the original inn a block away-- but we are still checking the accuracy of this claim.




Steve Evans - The Movie Guy

Tips on the best & worst this weekend at the Box Office. Steve reviews and comments on all the latest from Hollywood and gets the story behind the film.A veteran of the industry, "The Movie Guy" says exactly how he feels about the movies that you will be watching this weekend. Mike Horn comments on the lineup of big screen offerings but does not always agree with what Steve has to say. This is the movie review program to listen to every week and get the "real deal".